Thursday, December 08, 2005

Bushcraft

I took a stroll on the Downs this morning to find some new sites to practise bushcraft. It is not easy to find a landowner willing to allow some weirdo cland in green onto their land to light fires etc. Many people it seems see bushcrafters as a little strange or as new age "Tree Huggers," this is not always the case. Although I have met a few.

The walk along the north of the Downs was great if a little unadventful. My two dogs Barney and Meadow pulled constantly on the lead dragging me through the mud. The only wildlife on show was a few Gold Finches, Great Tits, Blue Tits, Pheasants and a Grey Heron. There were plenty of racks in the mud. Roe Deer and badger. I spent most of the walking struggling to stay upright as the mutts tried to topple me over. I now am covered in sticky mud and the car seat is flithy from dirty dogs.

I was surprised to see so few berries. The birds may strugle this winter. Remember to keep your bird feeders topped up.

No comments: